Medibank OVHC Overseas Workers Health Cover

Working holiday cover

Working overseas can be one of the most enriching experiences of your life. It’s a great way to understand different cultures, learn new skills and discover all the world has to offer. But when it comes to travelling, there’s always room for the unexpected to happen, so it’s important to protect yourself with comprehensive travel insurance. 

Our Working Overseas travel insurance policy is designed to protect you while you’re abroad, so you can enjoy yourself, knowing that you have someone to turn to if things go wrong.


Is the Working Overseas policy right for me?

Our Working Overseas travel insurance policy automatically covers office-based work and some types of manual work. It may be suitable for you if you:

  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • are aged 69 years or under
  • intend to live and work overseas for two years or less

This policy is available to you whether you have a return or one-way ticket. You can buy cover from one month to 12 months, and don’t have to be working while you’re overseas to purchase this policy.

For full details, please refer to the Policy Document, and if you’re unsure about the type of work you’re planning to do overseas, we would be happy to answer any questions you might have.


How can I apply for a policy?

We can arrange your Working Overseas policy for you over the phone. Simply get in touch with our team of experts who can answer any questions and set up your policy hassle-free.

Call us now for a free quote: 0800 800 571


Common questions

1. What if I already have a Southern Cross Health Society policy?

If you have a Southern Cross Health Insurance policy, you may be able to arrange to put it ‘on hold’ while you’re overseas. This means you won’t have to pay for two insurance policies at the same time, so you’ll have some extra spending money back in your pocket! Please refer to the Southern Cross Health Insurance website for more information. 


2. How many Working Overseas policies can I purchase?

Once you have received 60 months cover (in total) under our Working Overseas policies, you can only buy a new policy if you:

  • Will be living in New Zealand for a total of 6 months out of the next 12 months
  • Meet our other eligibility criteria

3. Can I get cover for longer than 12 months?

If you’re going to Canada, the UK or the USA on a working holiday visa, you can buy cover for up to 24 months. You’ll need to give us a call on 0800 800 571 to arrange this.


4. Can I get cover if I’m already overseas?

It’s best to apply for a Working Overseas travel insurance policy before you leave New Zealand, but if you’re already abroad it’s not too late. If you’re overseas when you purchase the policy, a 72 hour stand down applies. This means that any unexpected events which occur in the first 72 hours after your insurance start date, will not be covered for the duration of your policy. However, you would be eligible for cover for any unexpected events that occur after 72 hours of you buying the policy.


5. What if I decide to stay overseas for longer than I intended?

We know things can change quickly and you may need to stay overseas longer. If this is the case, you can purchase a new policy as long as you meet our eligibility criteria. However, the same 72 hour stand down  applies and you won’t be covered on your new policy for any unexpected events that occurred under your previous policy.


6. What if I come back to New Zealand to visit?

Want to return home to visit family and friends before heading back overseas to work? No problem! Our Working Overseas travel insurance includes cover for temporary trips back to New Zealand, for up to 30 days, per journey. This cover will only apply if you hold a return ticket back to your main destination overseas.


What we’re unable to cover

The Working Overseas policy is designed to cover you for manual, non-hazardous work, so there are some professions we cannot offer cover for.

We do not cover professional sports, working as an aircraft crew member or hazardous work. We consider hazardous work to be any work or occupation (paid, unpaid or voluntary), where you are exposed to an increased risk of physical danger, harm or any adverse health effects as a result of your duties and/or the location of your work.

Below are some examples of hazardous occupations, activities and locations:

  • Activities involving heights above two metres 
  • Working underground or underwater
  • Working more than 22.2km offshore 
  • Working with wild animals, including in zoos, safari parks, game reserves and sanctuaries
  • Working in remote areas (an area with limited or no telecommunications or medical services)
  • Working on construction sites
  • Operating heavy machinery
  • Working with, or around hazardous chemicals and/or materials
  • Working with firearms, explosives or weaponry of any kind
  • Activities involving forestry
  • Activities involving demolition
  • Working as a member of the armed forces, or fire, police and ambulance services

Worldwide emergency assistance

All policies come with worldwide emergency assistance, giving you access to one of the world’s largest network of emergency medical resources, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Take the next step towards your overseas experience and get a Working Overseas travel insurance quote today: 0800 800 571.


What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance Policy Document.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *